Media Luna park was built in 1935 by Víctor Eúsa
, one of the major Navarrese architects of the 20th century. Covering a surface area of 67,000 square metres, it is located at the southern end of the old city walls between the Baluarte de San Bartolomé and Avenida Baja Navarra, the road out of Pamplona
towards France via Irun.
Despite being in the very heart of the city, the park's design and size make it a real haven of peace. Probably the best view of the beautiful profile
of the Cathedral
is to be had from here, one that has been immortalised on many canvases of painters from Navarre. The long promenade is a belvedere that offers excellent views across the river Arga to the hills beyond. The medieval bridge of La Magdalena and the market gardens of the same name can be seen below the river, and even horses and livestock.
Look in the opposite direction, into the park, and you will find a great variety of elements in the purest Romantic style
: pergolas, pools, steps, fountains, bushes, small sculptures, large trees, water spouts and benches are scattered among the greenness of the park.
The Media Luna contains an original selection of plants and up to 43 species of trees, among them a giant sequoia
, which is not, however, the tallest in Pamplona. There are two others, one in the gardens of the Palacio de Navarra
(the regional government building) and the other in the old Agricultural Laboratory in the Historic Quarter of the city. All three have been declared national monuments
Another emblematic corner that will no doubt attract the visitor's attention is the monument to the renowned violinist from Pamplona, Pablo Sarasate
. It was erected in 1959 in circular form and is surrounded by park benches. Very close by is a pleasant bar/cafeteria with a terrace that is open every day from 11 a.m. and is an excellent place for a quick snack and a drink.
It is perhaps not surprising that we should hear music here. Different events are organised here quite frequently, such as the jazz concerts that take place during the evenings in early summer.
At the end of the Media Luna, where it joins the Avenida de la Baja Navarra, stands a monument to Sancho 'el Mayor', King of Pamplona (1004-1035). To the side, a bas-relief figure of Juan Huarte de San Juan, a Navarrese doctor and philosopher from the 17th century. To the right is an elegant mansion
built in 1955, popularly known in the city as the 'Chalet de Izu', which is now the centre for business/professional meetings and the seat of a number of professional associations. It also has a stylish restaurant
that is open to the public.